Insurance & Technology News
Fire destroys Odessa mobile home
Feb 15, 2013 (Odessa American - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
The fire that ravaged an Odessa mobile home Wednesday night stemmed from a heating lamp keeping eighth puppies warm on the back porch, resident Devan Campbell said Thursday.
Campbell, her husband, the puppies and their mother survived fire without injuries. But the home is lost, leaving the family staying with Campbell's parents in Gardendale.
The fire happened at 13620 West County Road 123. That's an Odessa address in Midland County, so it was the Midland Fire Department that responded to the first call of the fire at 10:30 p.m. Because it was so far out in the county, the city firefighters didn't arrive for 14 minutes, when the mobile home was 90 percent engulfed in flame, Fire Marshal David Hickman said on Thursday.
Campbell said she had just returned with her husband, Devon Campbell, after a dinner with her parents when they noticed their home was on fire. Her parents took their 2-month old son for the night. It was supposed to be a quiet evening before Valentine's Day.
"You could smell something burning really bad," she said. "I opened the door, and smoke just came out, and I could see the kitchen was on fire. Then the house just started burning really fast."
Eight units from the Midland Fire Department responded, including two engines, two rescue trucks and a water tanker, Hickman said. An Odessa Fire and Rescue water tanker responded as backup. Firefighters would remain on scene until almost 1:30 a.m.
At about 5 p.m. that day, Devan Campbell said she noticed the lamp had burnt the wall of the mobile home, so she unplugged the lamp, hosed the burned area down and cleaned up before going to dinner.
Hickman said firefighters in Midland see about five fires a year caused by heat lamps.
"We try to educate people at the beginning of winter: Don't keep lights in your dog houses, or if you do, don't put it on your porch or by your house," Hickman said.
The Campbell's have insurance on the home, Devan Campbell said. And her father set up an account for people who wish to donate money to help them at the Care of Orion Chanler Foundation: account number 662-200.
Contact Corey Paul on Twitter @OAcrime on Facebook at OA Corey Paul or call 432-333-7768.
___ (c)2013 the Odessa American (Odessa, Texas) Visit the Odessa American
(Odessa, Texas) at www.oaoa.com Distributed by MCT Information Services
[ Back To Insurance Technology's Homepage ]
UPDATED 5:51 PM EST - May 22, 2013
Subscribe to eNews
Insurance Technology eNews delivers the latest news impacting technology in the insurance industry each week. Sign up to receive FREE breaking news today!
Insurance Technology RSS