Guidewire Software and Capgemini to Improve Claims Processing for Zurich's UK General Insurance
May 12, 2015
In an article written on Computers and Animation Journal in 1969, computer scientist Edmund Callis (News - Alert) Berkeley said, “Most problems have either many answers or no answer. Only a few problems have a single answer”. If there is one business that seeks to find multiple answers to many of its questions, it is the insurance industry. And as an early pioneer in digital technology, Berkeley not only worked in the insurance industry, but understood the value of using technology to improve operations. Almost half a century later, Guidewire Software and Capgemini (News - Alert) are using technology to improve Zurich's UK General Insurance business with the successful deployment of a new claims handling platform.
As part of a multiyear project designed to transform the claims processing within the business, reducing costs, and improving Zurich's customer experience across the U.K., the insurer will implement a multi-phase program to deploy Guidewire ClaimCenter out to their Commercial Lines customers. The end-to-end claims management transformation program is designed to reduce manual processing, improve data management, and minimize losses associated with fraud and claims leakage.
The implementation of this platform has replaced 12 legacy systems as well as a number of claims processes for a range of businesses with just a single Web-based system. By eliminating these legacy systems, the insurance company has improved efficiency and introduced a consistent level of service across the board so it can deliver more efficient claims handling experience to its customers. According to the company, initially this new platform will be used to process claims for Zurich's UK personal lines customers, which will then be followed to other services, including Commercial Broker and Zurich Municipal customers.
Guidewire's technology gives insurers access to solutions that deliver increased level of productivity as part of the Guidewire InsuranceSuite, or as an integrated platform with legacy systems and third party applications. Some of the benefits it offers include:
- Allowing insurers to gain complete control over their core applications due to the extensive configurability of the platform along with an insurance-specific rules engine.
- Responsive easy-to-use applications with scalability that lets growing companies support larger populations by adding more servers.
- An integration layer that makes it possible to integrate core applications to any other systems inside or outside the enterprise by insurers.
- Share common set of skills and knowledge across core systems portfolio.
- Add new functionalities quickly by using the automated tests to detect any potential problems and protect applications against regression.
“The new system provides improved claims data as well as a more consistent claims service experience across our business, whilst at the same time allows us to de-clutter our legacy estate to create a modern business leading platform,” said Adam Warwick, Director of Business Change and IT, Zurich UK General Insurance.
Edited by Dominick Sorrentino